Shelter Plus Care Policy Guide: Relocation and Property Acquisitions

S+C units must be vacant to receive assistance but do not have to be vacant at the time of application. However, if a unit is occupied at application submission, a requirement to provide relocation assistance may be triggered.

The S+C program is subject to the requirements of the Uniform Relocation Assistance and Real Property Acquisition Policies Act of 1970, as amended (URA) and additional relocation requirements in Section 582.335 of the S+C regulations. These requirements are explained in HUD Handbook 1378, Tenant Assistance, Relocation and Real Property Acquisition.

Any person (family, individual, business, nonprofit organization or farm) that moves as a direct result of acquisition, rehabilitation or demolition for a project that is assisted through the S+C program (whether or not HUD funded the acquisition, rehabilitation or demolition) is entitled to relocation assistance. Displacement that results from leasing a unit in a structure may also trigger relocation requirements.

Relocation assistance can be expensive. To avoid unnecessary costs, it is important to provide occupants with timely information notices, including a general information notice to be sent at the time the application is submitted to HUD. HUD Handbook 1378 contains guideform information notices. The HUD field office can provide a copy of the handbook and copies of appropriate information booklets to be provided to occupants. Accordingly, if the site is occupied, the applicant should contact the HUD field office in the planning stage to obtain advice, including help in estimating the cost of required relocation assistance.

Applicants may apply for assistance under any or all of the four components.