Skip Navigation Print Friendly Banner
  • Font Size:
  • Larger font size Switch to smaller font size

Looking for Homeless Assistance?

If you are homeless, at risk of becoming homeless, or know someone that is homeless, help is available. HUD, along with many other Federal agencies, funds programs to help persons who are homeless. Local homeless assistance agencies provide a range of services and assistance, including emergency shelter, food, housing counseling, and job training and placement assistance.

For general information on available resources, please visit the Resources for Homeless Persons page on the HRE.

You may also find the following resources to be helpful:

  • Continuum of Care (CoC) Homeless Assistance Programs

    Grantees and persons who need shelter can use this locator to find contact information for a CoC lead agency and for the HUD Field Office serving the CoC’s territory. The CoC lead agency should be able to direct you for assistance to specific homeless assistance programs serving the CoC.

    HUD awards homeless assistance grants to organizations across the country to ameliorate homelessness and its effect on people's lives. The two primary grant types are: Continuum of Care (CoC) and Emergency Shelter Grants (ESG).

    Within this section, you can locate CoCs around the country, find CoC contact information, find report data, and view CoC and ESG awardees since 2005.

  • HOPWA Program

    The HOPWA Program was established by HUD to address the housing needs of low-income persons living with HIV/AIDS and their families.

    Persons who need shelter or assistance can use this locator to find contact information for HOPWA-funded agencies in their community.

  • Homeless Prevention and Rapid Re-Housing Assistance

    The Homelessness Prevention and Rapid Re-Housing Program (HPRP) is a new program funded under the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009. HUD is awarding funds to eligible cities, counties, and states. (HUD does not provide funding directly to individuals.) Individuals needing assistance can access services from an organization in their local community once HPRP funds have been distributed. Please contact your city, county, or state grantee to find out if HPRP funds are available now, whether you are eligible to receive this assistance, and how to access it.