Homelessness Prevention and Rapid Re-Housing Program
On February 17, 2009, President Obama signed the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009, which included $1.5 billion for a Homelessness Prevention Fund. Funding for this program, called the Homelessness Prevention and Rapid Re-Housing Program (HPRP), was distributed based on the formula used for the Emergency Shelter Grants Program.
Switch among the tabs to view other HPRP-related information.
HPRP ended nationwide on September 30, 2012.
Tools and TA Resources
This page contains sample technical assistance tools, templates, and guidance designed to help grantees design effective programs and comply with program rules. Use of the specific tools and templates on this page is not required by HUD - they are samples only. Please note: use of the templates and implementing the information contained in these guidance documents does not ensure that a grantee or subgrantee is compliant with the HPRP Notice or will not have a Finding if monitored by HUD.
The tools and templates were created in Microsoft Word, so they can be easily modified to reflect local needs and circumstances. Organizations can also include a logo or print the tools on agency letterhead to personalize them.
The materials on this page are organized by topic area. To view different categories of resources, select the appropriate link below or scroll through this page.
- Program Planning and Design
- Program Monitoring
- Procurement and Subgrantee Selection
- Client Intake, Assessment, and Case Management
- Housing Search and Housing Inspections
- Interagency Collaboration
Program Planning and Design
- HPRP Financial Management: Strategies for Accelerating Expenditure Rates
- Designing and Delivering HPRP Financial Assistance
- Funding Distribution Planning Tool
- Homelessness Prevention: Creating Programs that Work
- Rapid Re-Housing: Creating Programs that Work
- Organizational Change: Adopting a Housing First Approach
- HPRP: Opportunities for Systems Transformation and Sustainability
Procurement and Subgrantee Selection
- HPRP Guide to RFP Development and Contracting Issues
- State HPRP RFP Template
- Locality HPRP RFP Template
- HPRP Subrecipient Agreement Template
Client Intake, Assessment, and Case Management
- HPRP Documentation Checklist Templates
- Financial Assistance & Housing Unit
- HPRP Eligibility and Documentation Case Scenarios
- Case Scenario Instructor's Guide
- Case Scenario Worksheets
- Case Scenario Answers
- HPRP Income Eligibility Calculation Worksheet
- Case Management Homelessness Prevention and Rapid Re-housing
- HPRP Verification of Income Template
- HPRP Self-Declaration of Income Template
- HPRP Homeless Certification Template
- HPRP Self-Declaration of Housing Status Template
- HPRP Centralized Intake Paper
Note: For guidance on determining and documenting the housing status and income of HPRP applicants, please view the resources available on the HUD-Issued Guidance page.
Housing Search and Housing Inspections
- HPRP Unit Inspection Requirements
- HPRP Housing Habitability Standards Inspection Checklist
- Understanding the Lead-Based Paint Requirements: Guidance for HPRP Grantees
- HPRP Lead-Based Paint Screening Worksheet
- HPRP Lead-Based Paint Resident Instructions Template
- HPRP Lead-Based Paint Property Owner Instructions Template
- HPRP Lead-Based Paint Property Owner Certification Template
- HPRP Lead-Based Paint Documentation Checklist
Note: Though developed prior to the creation of HPRP, grantees may find the resources in HUD's Housing Search Assistance Toolkit useful.
- HUD-HHS Joint Letter on Recovery Act Funds - HPRP & TANF
- Coordinating HPRP and the Education for Homeless Children and Youth (EHCY) Program
- Coordinating HPRP with Medicaid and Other Mainstream Health Care Benefit Programs
- Coordinating HPRP with the Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) Program
- Connecting HUD's HPRP Program with Mainstream Workforce Programs
- Matrix of Programs Funded under ARRA
- Homelessness Prevention and Re-Housing: Key Partnerships
- Prevention and Rapid Re-Housing Research
- State of Michigan
- Hennepin County, MN
- New York, NY
To view other sample community tools and templates, visit the HPRP Peer to Peer Resources page.